Native Americans have occupied land in the Nebraska region for
thousands of years. Currently, there are fifteen Native American tribes that have been identified as descending from indigenous people and
continuing to hunt and reside in the Nebraska. Six of these tribes have
reservations; these people make up 1% of the state’s population.
This trip to an Indian Reservation in Northeast Nebraska is an encounter with the original people of the Americas. On this trip, you will learn about the beauty of the Native American culture through hands-on experiences with people of the Winnebago and Omaha tribes, serving a population often forgotten in our own country. You will be working intensely with Hope of the Poor. Service activities include reaching out in classrooms, spending time with kids in the village, serving the needs of village elders, odd jobs around the school and church, and serving as guest presenters of Lenten Parish Missions. You will be a catechist, a servant-leader, and a worker on this trip all while deepening your own relationship with Jesus Christ.
Spring Break 2018 (Indian Reservation)
- Dates: March 9 - 18, 2018
- Mission Director: Maggie G
- Mission Co-Leaders: Quinn C, Emily C, Jack S
- Amount to Fundraise: $700*
Price includes the following: travel
insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all
food, lodging, and on-mission transportation. Price does not include the
travel to/from mission location or other personal incidentals.
*Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going, while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- After you have been accepted on a mission trip, you will be
contacted by your personal fundraising coach who will train and mentor
you along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“This was a very maturing trip for me. I was truly out of my comfort zone by traveling across the U.S. by myself and engaging in a mission not knowing anyone. This mission trip was such a unique experience, and I will treasure it for the rest of my life. I know my team planted many seeds here, and I am praying for them to be very fruitful.”
– Shannon McFall, Texas A&M University
“This experience was filled with endless joy! You could see Christ present in everyone we met, everything we did, and every inch of breathtaking landscape. The locals were so hospitable: making us dinner, taking us sailing, whale watching, and much more. This trip called attention to the fact that no matter a person’s past, Christ died for each and every one of us. All the joy that we experience on this earth doesn’t even compare to the joy we will experience when we are united with our Father in Heaven!”
– Melanie Heiny, Ball State University