This mission will take us to the heart of Mexico’s Yucatán peninsula. The first leg of our mission will start in the historical city of Mérida – a city once considered the cultural capital of the Americas. Picking up our provisions and sleeping accommodations – traditional Yucatecan hammocks – we will then travel to a Mayan fishing village which is located on the northern coast of the peninsula. Sleeping accommodations will be in a retreat facility located on the beach.
Our mission will focus on serving this community through building a chapel shoulder-to-shoulder with the locals. When not building, we will be visiting local homes to invite people to evening retreats and spend time building relationships with the community. We will also have the opportunity to travel to the site of an ancient Mayan pyramid and ruins, and see one of the sites that John Paul II visited.
Mexico 2b (Yucatan) - Spring Break
- Dates: March 8 - 17, 2019
- Trip Director: Joseph D
- Mission Co-Leaders: Jessica R, Patrick G, Jeannette H
- Amount to Fundraise: $1,600*
Mexico (Yucatan) (Spanish Speakers Only) - Summer
- Dates: TBD
- Trip Director: Priscilla G
- Mission Co-Leaders: Marijose G, Victor B, Jocelyn P
- Amount to Fundraise: TBD*
Price includes the following: Round-trip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. Price does not include: immunizations and travel medications, travel to/from US departure city (which will be determined by the Mission Director), passport/visa expenses, or other personal incidentals.
* Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going, while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- After you have been accepted on a mission trip, you will be
contacted by your personal fundraising coach who will train and mentor
you along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“The joy I received from doing the Lord’s work and knowing that what we were doing the whole week pleased him is unrivaled in my life. I thought my heart was on fire with a love and passion for the Lord and desire to share this with others before I went on this trip, but that feeling has exploded beyond my imagination since.”
– Former FOCUS Mission Trip participant
“I am a typical American
college student. I like control, my phone is always in my pocket, and I often
live my life according to what I think is best for me. This mission trip, and
specifically FOCUS Greeks, rocked my world three ways: I met college kids who
are part of Greek life while practicing their Catholic faith – something that I
felt I was often alone in. My faith was strengthened through daily prayer,
Adoration, and a call to holiness with 23 awesome people by my side. Finally,
the culture shock that came from living alongside the poorest of the poor in
Mexico made me realize how much more room there is in my life to grow in
compassion, in truth, and in service.”
– Sam Pallini, Bradley University