Merging the Puerto Rican’s passion for baseball with a passion for Christ and His Church, FOCUS Missions together with Varsity Catholic is hosting our 5th annual Catholic Baseball Mission Camp for boys and a Catholic Volleyball Camp for girls in rural Puerto Rico. Through these camps, we hope to develop deep friendships with the local children and community, teach athletic skills, develop character and virtue, and share Christ through testimonies, the Gospel, and a joyful witness that brings hope. Our time in Puerto Rico will end with a tour of historic San Juan.
This trip will allow collegiate (and/or professional) athletes a chance to serve the poor in a radical way through mutual love of a sport. As we work to demonstrate the benefit of bringing faith to these two games, all trip participants will get a great opportunity to coach local youth, experience daily prayer, enter into the celebration of the Mass, and take in some beauty of tropical Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico (Varsity Catholic) - Winter
- Date: December 26, 2018 – January 3, 2019*
- Trip Director: Dan L
- Trip Leaders: James H, Carley M, Meagan G
- Estimated amount to Fundraise:
Price includes the following: Round-trip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. Price does not include: immunizations and travel medications, travel to/from US departure city (which will be determined by the Mission Director), passport/visa expenses, or other personal incidentals.
* Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going, while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- After you have been accepted on a mission trip, you will be
contacted by your personal fundraising coach who will train and mentor
you along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“My mission to Puerto Rico was a great experience! My whole aspect on life has changed since I’ve been back from my mission trip. I encourage anyone and everyone to go on a mission trip at one point in their lives!”
– Austin Gomez, Ave Maria University
“The Lord truly showed me faith and love on a level that I never knew existed. God’s love is so beautiful and the way He showed Himself in the hearts of each person we met there was amazing. By the end of the trip my best friend (Ashley) told the mission group that she was going to convert and asked me to be her sponsor. God showed me that even in the little things we do, we have the ability to change hearts!! It was an experience that I will hold in my heart forever.”
– Karlie, FOCUS Student Missionary
“Leading up to the trip I prayed a rosary every day, dedicating each decade to different groups/intentions (ex. the people of Puerto Rico, my mission partners, open hearts, etc.). While in Puerto Rico, I was surprisingly able to let go and forget about everything that had been troubling me. I truly felt the graces of peace and love flowing out throughout the entire trip. Every day that I think about Puerto Rico, I get a sense of peace that washes over me; I know I will always be called to serve God’s people! The two best and most fruitful parts of the trip for me were the daily holy hours/Mass, as well as the conversations we had with the other missionaries and religious brothers we had with us (Br. Mark-Mary and Br. Lazarus) from the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. Learning from and witnessing other athletes like me from around the country was really encouraging, and now we have a wider base of friends and resources!”
– Lexi Platz, Minnesota State University-Mankato