Join the fastest growing religious order in the Caribbean — The Missionaries of the Poor — as they work with the most marginalized of human beings. The Brothers welcome visitors to come and join them in their work, spirituality and life of prayer. Their mission is to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ primarily by serving the physical and spiritual needs of the people.
The Brothers “desire to be a manifestation of the presence of Christ in the world as He continues to live and care for the poorest.” The Missionaries of the Poor’s work is directed towards those in the lowest rung of the social ladder. Their service is manifested in housing the homeless, feeding the hungry, taking care of street children, and caring for those with diseases like AIDS and leprosy. Furthermore, the Missionaries have outreach programs for the mentally disabled (many of whom have been abandoned by their families), for HIV patients, and for Jamaicans with cerebral palsy.
Jamaica 2 (Mustard Seed)
- Spring Break
- Dates: March 8 - 17, 2019
- Trip Director: Claire O
- Mission Co-Leader: Alex L
- Amount to Fundraise: $2,800*
Price includes the following: Round-trip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. Price does not include: immunizations and travel medications, travel to/from US departure city (which will be determined by the Mission Director), passport/visa expenses, or other personal incidentals.
* Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going, while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- After you have been accepted on a mission trip, you will be
contacted by your personal fundraising coach who will train and mentor
you along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“I wasn’t expecting others to truly show me the love of Christ. I was going on a mission just to go. After my experience with the Missionaries of the Poor and spending time with the residents I found that they bring Christ to us more than we are Christ to them, granted we help feed them, clothe them and give them a place to stay, which is of course showing our love. Their love is much greater, they teach us how to love deeply, give of ourselves for a greater cause and they taught me just how important each and every human being is to the Kingdom of God.”
– Carlin Daves, Colorado School of Mines
“Prior to this mission trip, I had been looking for a call from God. I wanted a life changing event that would shake my worldview and knock me off my horse to point me in the direction Christ wants me to be in. Instead, service to the poor among holy, humble men showed me that the goal is not some instant act of serving God, but rather holiness. I realized that this goal of holiness is achieved not in isolated events but is instead a lifelong struggle that is won or lost in the summation of small incidents occurring every day. The trip showed me that I am not the center of the universe. My existence is less about me and my fulfillment and more about God and serving His people. Overall, the trip encouraged me to live simply and do my best in simple tasks already before me. Life is such a precious gift. To waste any time worrying or complaining is just that: a waste.”
– Former FOCUS Mission Trip participant