Imagine walking in the footsteps of Mother Teresa of Kolkata, working with orphans, feeding the hungry and serving the dying. This is your chance to emulate in yourself the life of a saint. Join this incredibly profound mission working with the Missionaries of Charity in the slums of Kolkata, India. Each day you will have a chance to invest your life into the “least of God’s people” by working in a home for the dying, an orphanage populated by young disabled children, or any number of apostolates run by the Missionaries of Charity.
After working with the Missionaries of Charity, who inspire all who are present to them with their incredible and heroic generosity, the group will pay a brief visit to the Taj Mahal via the incredible city of Jaipur where you will be immersed in authentic Indian culture and history. Jaipur boasts opportunities to visit historical forts which can be reached by riding elephants!
Finally, this mission will end in Goa where you will pilgrimage to the tomb of St. Francis Xavier – a saint who was the major driving force in bringing Catholicism to India and the Far East!
This is a mission of extremes: extreme heat, extreme sounds, extreme smells, extreme emotion, but most of all, an extreme encounter with Christ himself. Count on having your life changed on this mission!
India (Kolkata) 1 - Summer 2019
- Dates: May 20 - June 15, 2019*
- Trip Director: Seth C
- Mission Co-Leaders: Mary S, Rebecca F
- Amount to Fundraise: $3,550*
India (Kolkata) 2 - Summer 2019
- Dates: June 3 - July 5, 2019*
- Trip Director: Kelsey B
- Mission Co-Leaders: Matthew F, John P, Krista B
- Amount to Fundraise: $3,300*
Price includes the following: Round-trip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. Price does not include: immunizations and travel medications, travel to/from US departure city (which will be determined by the Mission Director), passport/visa expenses, or other personal incidentals.
*Dates and price subject to change
*** Notes on participation for U.S. citizens: You are required to get a visa for India. This is your own responsibility and not included in the cost of the trip. See visa requirements here: India visa requirements. You may be required to get immunizations and anti-malaria medications not included in the price of the trip; your health insurance may or may not cover these costs. See recommendations & requirements for vaccinations and medications here: Health Information for Travelers to India.
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going, while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- After you have been accepted on a mission trip, you will be
contacted by your personal fundraising coach who will train and mentor
you along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“I went to India to change the lives of others and found out quickly that the opposite was happening. The poorest of the poor taught me more on lessons of humility and patience than any mentor or teacher could have. My experience changed my life forever and will be something I will never forget.”
– Zach Kane, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
“Kolkata changed my life. When I was working in the Home for the Dying and Destitute, I cared for several individuals who pierced my soul with the gaze of Christ. In holding each of these people, I saw my Suffering Lord thirsting to love me as I was there trying to love them. Now, by the grace of God, it is easier to look at my fellow men and truly see and love Jesus in them. Thank you, FOCUS, for the opportunity of a lifetime.”
– Former FOCUS Kolkata Mission Trip participant